Just Show up, Sign-in as a Volunteer, Get Dirty, ENJOY!
Here’s the basics about volunteering at the Wylde Center.
Volunteer at Our Gardens
We have several gardens that run on volunteer power!
Help get our Plant Sale up and running.
Great way to gain environmental education experience.
Decatur Farm to School
Help kids and teachers in this valuable school program.
There’s always help needed in the office!
Help out at one of our special events.
SERVICE CALENDAR: JUST SHOW UP , SIGN IN AS VOLUNTEER, GET DIRTY, ENJOY!
Volunteer With the Wylde Center!
With 6 or move service opportunities a week at 4 urban greenspaces we welcome your help and encourage you to DIG IN! Click on the CALENDAR tab on the left for day/time/locations.
We also have opportunities to help with our Farm to School program, event planning committees, plant sale and more. To keep up with our special volunteer opportunities contact stephanie@Wyldecenter.org to be added to our news list. See below for detailed info on how you can get more involved right away. You can even help us by promoting the garden to your friends! Find us on Facebook.
New to Volunteering? Click here!
with your email and phone number and you will be added to our Volunteer list to receive service updates.
Get your Hands in the SOIL and Volunteer with us regularly. Weekly opportunities available to help us and YOU and learn!
Had a long week? Get out your frustrations by weeding, mulching, and learning. Gardening is a process and doing it as a team or solo can be therapeutic after being indoors, in an office, and in a car. Digging your hands in the soil and clearing space for edible, beautiful, beneficial plants to grow feels so good and may even help remove stress. Join us for our multiple weekday opportunities.
Come regularly, sign in on the front porch when you arrive and DIG IN with us in our beautiful gardens. As you volunteer, you will learn new facts and methods each week and each season.
Visit our gardens anytime sunup to sundown!
- When you arrive to volunteer you must sign in on volunteer check in. Ask Garden Manager where check in is.
- We have 4 public Gardens where you can volunteer
- You can complete court ordered service with us. You will need to disclose why you have been issued a court ordered community service. Please contact email@example.com and let us know in advance which regularly scheduled workday you can attend. Once you start volunteering, our gardeners may assign additional tasks that will help you complete your service requirements.
Volunteer at our 4 Gardens!
- Oakhurst Garden Site is located at 435 Oakview rd. Decatur, GA 30030. Workdays are scheduled regularly on the following days; Tuesdays 4 PM-6 PM during Daylight Savings Time and 3 PM-5 PM beginning the week Daylight Savings Time ends, and the 2nd Saturday of each month: 9 am – 12 pm. Tasks: maintenance and planting in the vegetable, woodland, and ornamental gardens; maintenance tasks in the composting area; and, general clean-up.The maximum number of volunteers for these sites is 25. The Oakhurst Garden Manager is JC Hines. Contact JC at JC@wyldecenter.org if you have questions about this site.
Wylde Woods work days at the Oakhurst Garden with DeKalb County Extension Master Gardener
Calling all forest lovers- we need your help. Join Kat and Frances at the Oakhurst Garden to help and learn about our Native Woods! Just show up, sign in on the porch and dig in! Group service opportunities available with a max of 15 volunteers. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a group
- Sugar Creek Garden is located at the back of the Oakhurst Presbyterian Church Parking Lot, near the intersection between E. Lake Drive and 2nd Avenue. The GPS Address: 415 E. Lake Dr., Decatur, GA 30030. Workdays are scheduled regularly on the following days: Mondays from 10-12pm. Please refer to Service Calendar above to be sure the workday is occurring. The maximum number of volunteers for this site is 20. Sugar Creek Garden is an edible greenspace that is in its 4th year of production. The garden’s intention is to provide fresh, local, sustainably produced food and medicinal herbs for community members to harvest, largely through u-pick events. The Sugar Creek Garden site coordinator is JC Hines, and you may contact her at email@example.com if you have questions about this site.
- Edgewood Community Learning Garden is located at 1503 Hardee Street Atlanta, GA 30307. Workdays are Fridays from 10am-12:30pm; 9am-12pm the third Saturday of every other month in February, April, June, August, October and December. Tasks: planting and maintaining crops, maintaining the compost area, and site renovation projects. The maximum number of volunteers is 15. The Edgewood Community Learning Garden Manager is Monica Ponce. You may contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the garden.
- Hawk Hollow Greenspace is located at 2304 1st Ave. Atlanta, GA 30317. Join Wylde Center staff at our newest green space from 9am-12pm on the first Saturday of every other month in March, May, July, September, November. You can come solo or bring a friend. The Hawk Hollow Garden Manager is Monica Ponce. You may contact her at email@example.com for more information about the garden.
Plant Sale Coordination and Planting
PLANT SALE FESTIVAL!
April 8-April 13 Various times, up to 6 volunteers per shift. FALL date tbd.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! We need a lot of help before and during the plant sale.
Join the Horticultural Team at the Oakhurst Garden, Volunteer and learn about starting veggies.
Did you know that 99.9% of the work completed to make our plant sale a reality is done by volunteers?! The income from the Wylde Center plant sale is a significant part of the budget that we raise each year. Funds from the plant sale support our garden based education efforts and our four greenspaces. Have some time during the week? Great, because we need your help!
Join us to sow out seeds, pot up plants and keep the sales area looking sharp.
We have SPRING workdays throughout the week. We hope one of them works for you.
- Every Tuesday with Stephanie Van Parys, January 28 – May 27 (no April 8), 5-7 p.m.
- Every Thursday with Veronique Perrot, Plant Sale Intern, January 30 – May 29, 9-11 a.m.
- Select Sundays from 2-5pm with Kostoula Vallianos, 1/26,2/2,2/16,3/9,3/23,4/27,5/18
We have FALL workdays every Thursday beginning in August.
- Every Wednesday with Veronique Perrot, August 7 – September 25, 9 – 1 p.m.
RAIN or SHINE
Show up – Sign in – Dig In: Meet in area near or around the green house.
Tasks: Sowing out seeds, transplanting, and preparing the plant sale area for continual sales. Volunteers should meet in or around the green house.
No experience necessary.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or to schedule a group. Max number of volunteers is 10 age 12+
Volunteers will learn
- How to start vegetables from seed
- The seed sowing calendar
- Taking cuttings of herbs, rooting them
- Sowing out herbs from seed
- Thinning and potting up succulents
Additional plant sale opportunities will be scheduled during the spring season.
Hours: Flexible and varied based on programming schedule. Tasks: Support the Youth Programs Manager in planning, during, and post programs. Great way to gain environmental education experience working with youth. Contact: Melanie Heckman at email@example.com
Decatur Farm to School
Decatur Farm to School (DF2S) is a grassroots effort to connect City Schools of Decatur with local farms with the objectives of serving healthy meals in their cafeterias, improving student nutrition, and providing health and nutrition education opportunities that will last a lifetime. DF2S activities take place in the cafeteria, in the classroom and in the garden. Volunteer opportunities include helping at school gardens, assisting teachers with their F2S curricular activities, and helping during CSD professional work days, cafeteria taste tests, and fundraising events, etc. Please contact Lucia Pawloski at firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.
Hours: Vary based on your schedule.Some of the work is work that can be done from your home. Tasks: Updating database, assisting with mailings, and whatever else needs doing. We can keep you busy!
Contact: Stephanie Van Parys, Stephanie@Wyldecenter.org
We need volunteers to help us in a variety of ways for the following events. Join our planning commitees,help the day of with setting up, promote events to your friends, lead an activity, or help us clean up. Contact Stephanie@wyldecenter.org