Decatur Farm to School (DF2S) is a Wylde Center program that works to improve nutrition, knowledge of where food comes from, hands-on outdoor education, environmental awareness, and appetite for fresh fruits and veggies by leading efforts in the classrooms, cafeterias, communities, and gardens of the City Schools of Decatur. The DF2S committee is led by parents, teachers, community members, Wylde staff members and has been active since 2010.
DF2S was introduced to teachers and staff at a district-wide professional learning day in January of 2010. Avalon Catering, a local gourmet catering business, worked with the district’s kitchen staff and high school culinary students to prepare and serve a delicious lunch made from fresh locally-sourced foods. Representatives from DF2S spoke to the group, and teachers and staff completed a survey to assess knowledge and interest in Farm to School concepts.
- In addition to the traditional lunch line at the middle and high schools, there is a new cafeteria line called “Fast ‘n Fresh” including a salad bar, and either a sandwich station, baked potato bar, or other specialty bar. This line replaces the “a la carte” line at the high school) where nachos, fries and other less healthy items were previously sold). Fries, ice cream and cookies are sold on Fridays only.
- Each month we spotlight one locally grown fresh fruit or vegetable and offer this item once a week on the lunch menu at all schools. “Produce of the month” has included fresh, local watermelon, tomatoes, apples, and greens.
- Volunteers have conducted taste tests of the “produce of the month,” asking students if they liked the new produce items and if they would try them again. Student feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.
- In addition to the “Produce of the month,” we buy as much locally grown produce as possible.
- Cooks Warehouse, a local gourmet cooking store and school, has sponsored and led three hands-on cooking workshops for all school nutrition staff. Recipes focus on working with fresh produce, and some of these recipes have been incorporated in the school lunch menu.
- Funded by a Kaiser Permanente grant received by the Decatur Education Foundation, the Wylde Center and Georgia Organics trained more than two dozen Decatur teachers in Farm to School concepts and helped them develop activities and curriculum experiences to bring Farm to School ideas to the classroom. Classroom activities have included taste tests (students taste new menu items, then graph and present data as a math lesson), video production (students wrote and produced a video commercial for vegetables), and studies of worms and compost.
- Activities developed in these teacher trainings are being compiled and shared so that other teachers can incorporate Farm to School concepts in their teaching.
- Students and teachers were able to attend the 2010 Georgia Organics conference funded by the Kaiser Permanente grant.
Now that F.AVE has installed their garden, all of the schools in City Schools of Decatur have gardens! Six of the eight schools actively participate in garden-based education during the school day as part of the Wylde Center’s Garden to Classroom program.
Farm to School Dine-Out
Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 5-9 p.m.
Thank you to our dine-out sponsor!
Brick Store Pub
Cakes & Ale
Leon’s Full Service
Mojo Pizza & Pub
My Parent’s Basement
Steinbeck’s Ale House
The Iberian Pig
The Marlay House
Twain’s Brewpub and Billiards
Decatur Farm to School Raffle
Purchase your raffle tickets in advance.
Tickets are $1 each or 6 for $5. You do not need to be present to win. Winners will be pulled on November 30.
Your name will be included in a drawing where you will have a chance at winning restaurant gift certificates, merchandise, and so much more.
We will take care of filling out your raffle tickets with your name and contact info. If you win an item, you will be contacted to pick up your item at the Wylde Center office located at 435 Oakview Road, Decatur, GA 30030. Any gift certificates that you win will be mailed to your home.
Cakes and Ale $25 gift card
Chai Pani Chef’s table for 4 with 1 alcoholic drink per person included
Fit Wit Gift Certificate
Farmburger 2 x $25 gift cards
Oakhurst Market $25 gift cards
Raging Burrito 3 x $20 gift cards and 5 T-shirts
Steinbecks $25 gift card
Iberian Pig $50
Twain’s $25 gift card
U-Joint $25 gift card
Wahoo – tickets for 2 to the Wednesday wine tastings
Volunteers needed to sell raffle tickets at participating restaurants.
Decatur Farm to School Grant – Deadline Extended to September 7, 2017
The Decatur Farm to School Executive Committee members would like to invite you to apply for a Decatur Farm to School Grant!
The Wylde Center’s Decatur Farm to School Grant Program was initiated to support the City Schools of Decatur (CSD) in their efforts to provide farm to school experiences to their faculty and students. Up to three $500 grants will be awarded to CSD per school year. Each school may only receive one grant per year. Funds may be used for garden support, field trips, teaching experiences, and/or materials, as related to farm to school education.
Who can apply? Teachers, Administrators, PTA members, or parent volunteers on behalf of their CSD School.
Your completed application can be completed through following this Survey Monkey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BLDY2MC
Your application must be received no later than Thursday, September 7, 2017.
The Decatur Farm to School Executive Committee expects to select up to three grant recipients by September 8, 2017. All applicants will be notified of the Committee’s decision.
If selected, the school is obligated to use the funds and complete the objectives by the 2017/2018 school calendar year. What funds are not used by the end of the school year will be returned back to DF2S. Decatur Farm to School requests that, upon completion of funded task(s), grantees provide a written summary, with photographs and additional documentation, as needed. Written summaries and/or any additional documentation, such as photos, may be included in a future DF2S school newsletter.
Questions? Please contact Becky Anne, member of the Decatur Farm to School Executive Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Decatur Farm to School
Dear Decatur Farm to School Volunteers,
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for the Decatur Farm to School program. Decatur Farm to School (DF2S), a Wylde Center program is a grassroots effort to connect City Schools of Decatur with local farms with the objectives of serving healthy meals in their cafeterias, improving student nutrition, and providing health and nutrition education opportunities that will last a lifetime. DF2S activities take place in the cafeteria, in the classroom and in the garden. Volunteer opportunities include helping with taste tests, organizing volunteers, Dine-Outs, communications, the mini-grant program, and more!
Interested in having your name added to our volunteer list? Contact email@example.com . Thank you!
Thinking about planting an edible garden at your school? Have a school garden and don’t know how to care for it, or even what’s in it? Want to use the garden as part of your curriculum, but don’t know how?
Let the garden and education experts from the Wylde Center teach you what to do!
Our one-day training courses for educators open up the eyes and minds of teachers and staff to see edible school gardens as a versatile, hands-on teaching tool – and give them the skills to use this green resource, too. Whether Language Arts or Math, Science or History, Agriculture or Art, school gardens are fertile ground for lessons and learning across all grade levels.
Decatur Farm to School’s professional development workshops take educators in the City Schools of Decatur to the basics of Farm to School to having the tools to develop and implement their own lessons. Workshops will recommence in Fall 2014.
Not in City Schools of Decatur, but still want Farm to School teacher trainings at your school? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Lesson Plan Support